Northern Light CA Dean Hospital
Department: Medical Surgical Unit
Position is located: Northern Light C A Dean Hospital
Work Type: Full Time
Work Schedule: 6:00 AM to 2:30 PM
Under the direction of the Director, Safety & Environmental Services, the Environmental Technician/Porter is responsible for cleaning all areas of the hospital according to policies and procedures.
• Performs 7 Step cleaning of patient rooms, nursing units/offices, clinical areas, waiting areas, lobbies, lounges & rest rooms
• Follows discharge cleaning procedures as written
• Follow infection control guidelines when cleaning precaution rooms
• Utilizes the appropriate chemicals and supplies according to procedures.
• Uses and maintains equipment properly.
• Removes trash, biomedical wastes & soiled linen from patient rooms to appropriate disposal areas for Porter pick up.
• Replenishes paper supplies, bedside and bio bags as needed.
• Makes additional rounds for trash removal in patient rooms
• Ensures cubical curtains are hung correctly.
• Keeps housekeeping cart clean at all time & replenishes supplies on cart
• Replenishes supplies in designated closet
• Follows all infection control practices including hand hygiene techniques, standard precautions and isolation precautions.
• Observes safety precautions at all time & report hazards as appropriate
• Puts in work orders when necessary
• Removes "wet floor" signs after floor is dry.
• Assures cleaning cart is secured at all times, includes taking the cart off units when going on break
• Wears PPE as appropriate
• Replaces sharps container when filled to appropriate level.
• Understands how to read Safety Data Sheets& where they are located
• Responds to pages as they are received
• Logs beds in computer Bed Status report & Bed Book
• In absence of Porter removes soiled linen from units to appropriate storage
• In absence of Porter removes trash from units to appropriate storage
• In absence of Porter removes biomedical waste from units to appropriate storage
• In absence of Porter dry mops corridor floors
• Performs additional Porter functions as necessary
• Participates in MCMH recycling program.
• Participates in the washing of cleaning cloths/mops & slings
• Completes work assignments in a timely manner.
• Completes task area sheets daily.
Competencies and skills:
* No previous experience required.
* High School Diploma/General Educational Development (GED)
* Potential exposure to hazardous materials.
* Potential exposure to noise levels being uncomfortable.
* Potential exposure to noxious odors.
* Potential exposure to very hot or cold temperatures.
* Work with computers, typing, reading or writing.
* Extend body and limbs to reach items.
* Continuous kneeling.
* Lifting, moving and loading less than 20 pounds.
* Lifting, moving and loading 20 to 30 pounds.
* Continuous standing.
* Continuous walking.